Westgate College was established in 1978 as the post-16 department of The Royal School for Deaf Children Margate. We are a non-maintained day and residential specialist College for learners aged 16 -22 who are deaf or have associated communication difficulties. Most of our learners have additional educational, emotional/behavioural or medical problems.
We educate and care for deaf young people and those with communication difficulties who may have additional needs, to enable them to have a positive future within work and their communities.
- We believe that all learners have the right to communicate through sign, speech or other systems appropriate to their needs
- We believe in equality and diversity to meet each individual learner’s needs. We help learners to understand differences and value each other’s rights to observe beliefs, customs and celebrations
- We believe that all learners have the right to live as independently as possible
- We believe that all learners have the right to make appropriate decisions
- We aim to support learners to realise achievable goals and ambitions for the future
- We treat every learner as an individual